Hampshire Workspace and our 26 serviced offices occupy 37 and 39 Southgate Street Winchester. The buildings form part of a Grade II listed terrace.
The terrace of four houses is Georgian in style although, as it was built between 1836 to 1845, it is technically Victorian. It was designed by Owen Browne Carter (1806-1859) who also designed the library building- formerly the Corn Exchange- in Jewry Street Winchester.
The terrace was named Chernocke Place after Sir Villiers Chernocke who owned the land on which it was built. The builder was William White.
At the time, Winchester was beginning to expand rapidly thanks to the arrival of the railway in 1840 which led to it becoming a popular destination for both tourists and businesses. The houses were initially occupied by well-off families. There would have been no running water, drains or street lights when the houses were built but it wasn’t long before gas street lighting was installed in 1847 followed by piped water in 1856 and drains and sewers in the 1870s.
In May 1897, 39 Southgate Street provided the first home for Peter Symonds School, at that time a secondary school for boys. The school moved to its present site in December 1899.
By the 1920s commercial owners were beginning to move in. Sadly they seem to have taken less pride in the buildings and they began to deteriorate through lack of maintenance. After the war, it became necessary to remove the porches. Fortunately in the 1970s, the City Of Winchester Trust took an interest and, following a campaign, the porches were restored in 1979.
Warren’s Street Directory of 1953 shows 37 as being occupied by the Hampshire National Health Service Executive Council and 39 by Bowker & Richards Solicitors and W Moss, Clerk to the City Magistrates.
By 1967, the NHS had taken over both buildings and knocked through a connection at second floor level. That year, they were put up for sale by auction through George Smith & Son. By 1971, both properties were occupied by The Condor Group of Companies, who supplied iron frameworks to the new properties.
The current owners acquired the buildings in 1982, seeing a great opportunity to provide Winchester with its first serviced offices. There are now connecting corridors at every level, not to mention superfast broadband and other modern facilities. Nevertheless many original Georgian features have been preserved including the pillared curved arch that once led to the main ground floor room and the decorative ceiling mouldings, making Southgate Chambers a pleasure to be in and far more than a just a place of work.