News, views and advice for Small Businesses

7 October 2013
Comments: 0

Size Really Does Matter

I know you thought the headline was just a way of attracting your attention and then I would talk about the way only the biggest shops are going to survive on the high street or how Amazon is taking over online retailing. But no, this really is about how women prefer larger men. An Australian […]

29 September 2013
Comments: 0

Give Your Attention To The 1 In 5

The Pareto Principle says that 80% of your sales come from 20% of your customers. Looked at from the other side, it also states that 80% of your sales come from 20% of your products. It’s a theory based on human activity, not only shopping. So Pareto would say 80% of the time you wear […]

18 September 2013
Comments: 0

Catalogue Of Ills

Back in 1988, when I joined the new marketing team at The Mayflower Theatre, just about the first thing we did was redesign the season brochure. (It’s something new people like to do.) We hired a top local designer. Everyone thought it was beautiful. I thought it was beautiful. It was beautiful. But when I […]

9 September 2013
Comments: 0

How To Design A New Logo

Are you thinking of having a new logo? You’re not alone. Yahoo! did last week for the first time in 18 years. I sympathise with everyone who has had the task of coming up with a unique combination of letters and colours to sum up the whole of a business. Fortunately, when I was working […]

31 August 2013
Comments: 0

Build Your Team, Build Your Business

80% of employees are unhappy with their jobs, according to a survey by the US company Bolt Insurers. You can be sure the figure won’t be much different over here. And when they get very unhappy, they quit- 37% every year from food services and accommodation, 35% from leisure and hospitality, 26% from retail. The […]

‹ Prev page1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next page ›